Received no university offers or none that you wanted to accept? You can get onto a different course through clearing. Clearing is open from 5th July till 19th October - If Universities have spare places on their courses, they are offered through clearing.
Follow these 5 simple steps to ensure you get a place at university through clearing.
1. Log onto the UCAS website (ucas.com)
2. Look for available courses through the UCAS search tool! Here, you'll find all of the courses that still have places for students, which means you'll have a good chance of getting one of those places!
3. Three tips from the UCAS website:
- Be flexible! It is good to have an open mind and consider different subjects. If your exact subject is not on the list, it could be worthwhile studying a similar subject, or even joint honours.
- Check the website regularly! All of the subjects may not be available at the same time. If your subject or university is not on the list now, it might be later... but don't wait too long! You might miss the boat.
- Make sure to check the courses you are interested in on the Universities website, so that you get all the details.
4. Step four...Talk to the Universities! When you have chosen a course that you are interested in, give the University a call and give them your personal clearing number (found in the tracking section of UCAS) to see if they would accept you for the course and to get more information.
5. Once you have a few options and have made your decision, follow the steps to add your clearing choice in track UCAS.
- Click 'Add Clearing choice' and fill in the course details by the date the university/college gave you on the phone.
- This counts as you definitely accepting the offer, so if they confirm, it'll show as an acceptance on your 'Choices' page in Track.
- You can only add one choice at a time, but if the university/college doesn't confirm your place, you'll be able to add another.
Finding student accommodation when you use Clearing 2021
Wondering how you can find accommodation when you go via clearing?
The first thing to do once you know which university you want, is to register at the Studentpad site for your chosen university, set up alerts and start building your perfect hot list, ensure you hear as soon as a property is available!
If you would like to stay in the university run halls, it is a good idea to visit the University accommodation pages or contact the accommodation offices first, they often guarantee halls for first years. Thinking of staying in private halls? Many private halls advertise on Studentpad as well, you can see them all in one place and compare.
What if you struggle to find accommodation when going via Clearing?
If you are struggling to find student accommodation when applying via clearing, ensure you have registered on Studentpad and set up your alerts. New properties are still becoming available for September 2021 and they will show on the site as soon as they are. Be the first to hear. A lot of our Studentpad sites also offer message boards to allow you to contact fellow students. If you are still struggling, it is a good idea to contact the university accommodation office who may be able to help.
At Studentpad, we work with over 80 Universities directly and have been trusted by students for over 21 years to help them find their perfect pad, so you are in safe hands with Studentpad.
When does Clearing 2021 finish?
The last date to add clearing choices is 19th October, however, the last day for receipt of 2021 entry for undergraduate applications is earlier on the 21st September 2021, visit UCAS to find out more. In summary, the sooner you complete your application and find your student accommodation the sooner you can get enjoying your last few weeks of freedom!
Good luck to everybody applying to clearing!!